Re: Topband: phased inverted V dipoles

To: mrtoburen7 <mrtoburen7@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: phased inverted V dipoles
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 18:55:02 -0400
Yeah, I could believe that. On 80 meters I could believe that.

N4AF/NY4A had a fixed Northeast 80m 4 element wire vee yagi off two towers
and a 220 foot catenary suspended between. Apex of the vee's 100-120 feet.
It was a killer antenna. But it was also on the horizontally polarized side
of the modal shift.

The first year we had that up, K1ZZ operating at A61 later said NY4A on 80
was THE signal from North America. Tuning was cranky and dependent on
things we've only understood fully in recent years. Dunno if Howie will
ever want a redo done with the improved principles. Lot of work.

To replicate that antenna on 160 we would have needed a pair of 250 foot
towers spaced 440 feet with a catenary, or probably more practical, four
250 foot towers with yagi spacing across 440 feet.

Howie ain't ever gonna put up anything like that out there. Beaufort
County, NC is "Hurricane Alley" where all foreign hurricanes have to check
in and show their passport. He's been hit or grazed by nine now, counting
Matthew.

73, Guy K2AV