Re: Topband: BOGs in alley under powerlines

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOGs in alley under powerlines
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 18:11:58 -0500
Keep in mind that a BOG antenna really needs some kind of return (RF
ground). That could be a few radials buried just below the surface of the
earth (to minimize pickup from unwanted directions on the radials
themselves). Otherwise, the return is in the form of common-mode on the
outside of your coax's shield.

If it's not terminated, then a ground at the far end could be dispensed
with.

BOGs and associated grounds have been discussed at length here. I suggest
you search back through the Topband archives. Lots of good advice there!
Pay particular attention to threads containing Guy Olinger's posts on this
subject. (Darned if I can remember Guy's callsign!)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com