Topband: PVS-2-A vertical 2-el array report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: PVS-2-A vertical 2-el array report
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 11:10:12 -0300
Got part of a used COM-PVS-2-A 160m array (COM-PVS-160-A) for 160m last year
(Tnx Bob!) and only yesterday @ sunset did I finally finish it off in the
pouring rain.

I had to make a controller for it. (I used lime green LED's and 3 toggle
switches)

Played in the Pre-Stew with it and am quite pleased with it.

Today in the daylight I made these measurements using my AA-230pro as a
signal source, but I was only about 150' away from the antenna, so I am very
much in the near field, but they jive

with what I saw on the air last night.

Like my recent 20-40-80 4-square measurements I made, even though response
was less than underwhelming I thought I would share my results so here they
are.  Got a slight break in the rain.

So, with a signal source to the SW (only 150' from the antenna and very much
in the near field)

Freq 1.833MHz .radio IC-7410...antennas both wire inverted L's.oriented
NE-SW...I used a Belden 75Ohm RG6 type coax, NOT the 50Ohm as recommended
(It's what I had)

The antennas are not similar at all, except they both resonate about
1.833MHz (1.5:1 SWR)..SWR did rise slightly on original antenna once antenna
#2 was put into place.

One inv L has a >km of radials under it and only rises 35-40' vertically
(perhaps 55' of wire as it's sloped)

The other Inv L rises sharply 45-50' with nearly 65' of wire "vertically"
but only has 2 raised radials roughly 8-10AGL.

  They are not "symmetrical" to each other with respect to the horizontal
portions of the wire.

Measurements:

Aimed at the source to the SW, the S meter is on S8

In SE/NW mode (Nearly Omni) the S-meter is on S7

Aimed away from signal to the NE the S-meter is on S4

I think I am really too close to say with certainty how much gain, F/B, F/S
any of these arrays have, however........so I won't make any conclusions as
to gain or F/B except to say it's moving the pattern as intended...using
very compromised antennas.  Wires in the trees !

Wouldn't it be nice to own a real antenna range a few thousand feet in
diameter and trees 150' tall?

For now, I am pleased.  It's not quite as sharp as my 4 squares, but at
1.8MHz, I am nearly on top of it only 150' away.

For the 20-40-80m arrays all antennas are close to being identical (except
two of the 80m ones differ slightly)

YMMV but if you only have a thin slice of North-South trees like me, I
endorse this/these product(s) !

Best thing about them is reduced local noise. (especially nulling the
e-fence noise to my NE, when I am aimed Stateside.  I could actually hear
more of the QRPers that called in last night.

dit dit

Mike VE9AA aka 4-square boy (one of the locals called me this after the 2nd
or 3rd one went up a couple weeks ago...hi)

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB