Topband: ARRL160CW frm EU center

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: ARRL160CW frm EU center
From: "Dr. Wolf Ostwald" <df2py@t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 07:31:16 +0100
hi reflectees !
This contest is history by now and it was hard work from the interior of EU.
The first nite cndx were better, but US stns suffered from heavy traffic QRM most times. They surely had a better receiving situation on the second nite. Conditions were poor at the best, long QSB phases made stateside signals disappear for durations as long as 30 minutes, then the band recovered. I was not able to find a substrate for that on solarham or NOAA pages. It should have been much better. Surely things are hidden which we still dont know of. To me it looked like there was a lot less activity on the east coast from potent stations, the sheer mass was less than in years before. Some stations were heard and then vanished to never show up again. Summarizing i can say that all of the 80 qsos i got were hard work. Harder than in the years b4 for sure. To fight the uncertainty of topband prop is part of the fun, and to me this contest is more of a propagation and physics experiment than a contest, at least from the EU mainland center. I observed that EU stations on the coast and in the south surely had an advantage, they worked stations i could not read at all. But this is a long known. Now we do have another 11 months to get our swords sharpened again to do some cutting through the auroral belt.

73 de wolf df2py