Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 169, Issue 22

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 169, Issue 22
From: Jim Jim <wa3mej@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:02:15 -0500 (EST)
Bob,

>From what you have said I would suspect you have changed the pattern of the
>antenna but that is just a guess. The other thing is that the last few years
>has seen a marked change in 160M propagation and use it seems.  On occasion I
>have seen WSPR stations have propagation to EU but there are no EU stations on
>the band operating CW.  I would think if a low power WSPR station could get
>through a 1500w CW station could certainly make it but then I am just a little
>gun and don't know much about such things.

As far as the pattern you will only know about that if you model and even
possibly measure the field in the far field of the antenna. Might I suggest
however you put a halyard up and then you can run the antenna up and down much
like you would a flag.

I will say that I have noticed many people not being able to break through what
few pileups there have been... many that I have seen getting reports in past
years.  I would have thought prop would have been better seeing how we are
supposed to be on the down side of the solar cycle.... but again what do I
know.... I just keep plugging away in hopes of adding another new one, which I
guess is all any of us can do EVEN the big guns.

Good luck with your efforts and let us know what you find out

Jim WA3MEJ