Re: Topband: Common Mode RF Currents Disrupting JT Transmissions

To: Paul Kiesel <k7cw@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Common Mode RF Currents Disrupting JT Transmissions
From: Brad Rehm <bradrehm@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:04:52 -0600
Paul,

that's a good way to address the problem.  If there's RF in the shack, that
probably means it's being reflected from the antenna.  With or without a
ground at the shack, the antenna/load should absorb all the power you send
to it...if it's matched to the coax.  So if you haven't already done this,
I'd use an antenna analyzer at the antenna feed point and see what the
match looks like there.  Even if the resistive component is 50 Ohms, the
reactive part can do you in.

I have fairly good matches on two of my antennas (one an inverted-V for
160), but I find the transmitter is happier with baluns installed at the
feed points.  The 160 antenna has a 1:1 and the 30m vertical (with elevated
radials) has a 4:1.  The latter balun was selected unscientifically by
reaching for the nearest one on the edge of the shelf.

There are some solid technical reasons the baluns helped in these cases,
but it was much simpler to try them and see what happened.  Both of these
antennas BTW are very good performers.  The baluns are hand-wound using
W2FMI's excellent texts on the subject.

73,
Brad (from Tulsa)
KV5V