Re: Topband: LDEs, witches and magicians

To: Gary Smith <Gary@ka1j.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: LDEs, witches and magicians
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 00:27:18 -0500
Some time in the last decade, out at NY4A in the CQ WW DX CW, on 40 meters,
I started hearing CW that I initially thought someone was sending over the
top of me, mocking me. I sent an FU. and got an FU back. Then the lights
went on in my fatigue-soddened brain. I sent a spastic random
twiddle-diddle of dots and dashes and got the exact same thing back.

Probably sending my usual 28 WPM, I would switch into RX hearing "A NY4A"
sending on top of me when I stopped after a CQ, or U NY4A after a Q, or NN
05 after sending the exchange.

The signal went on for nearly a half hour, and was 20 over 9 until it
suddenly diminished to nothing inside of a minute. At the next PVRC chapter
meeting, others reported something similar at the same time.

Have heard a lot of explanations for it, but honestly can neither dispute
nor lend support to any of them.

I only know for sure that every now and then it happens on a time of its
own picking.

73, Guy