Re: Topband: Short Verticals

To: "'David Cole'" <g3rcq@yahoo.co.uk>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Short Verticals
From: "Clive GM3POI" <clive@gm3poi.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 21:30:35 -0000
Eznec is your friend Dave. Having used a previously short Vertical  51ft  for
20+ years, the top loading is not your problem. Because the feed Z is low you
will require longer radials. Mine are typically 0.4 wavelengths.
I will stand corrected but the formula is E (efficiency) = Feed Z/ Feed Z plus
loss  (the loss being mainly ground loss)
So typically with a short vertical we could have 12/ 12+ plus loss which could
be any amount dependent on your radial system.
The only way to deal with this is either by a vast radial system or a taller
vertical.  In the end it's all a numbers game.
73 Clive GM3POI (306 current confirmed)