Re: Topband: 160 meter 1/4 vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter 1/4 vertical
From: Brian Pease <bpease2@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 20:37:02 -0400
I erected a 50 ft self-supporting grounded aluminum tower last fall, with a triband beam as a top load. I installed 137 radials 30m long (because I could!). I first shunt fed it on 160m and it works well. I added 80m shunt feed this spring and it is superb. I modeled 40m and 30m in NEC4.2. It should work great shunt fed on 40m where it is ~1/2 wave, but the 30m pattern is terrible with a high angle main lobe - just too tall.