Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 178, Issue 27

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 178, Issue 27
From: Greg Chartrand via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 00:44:00 +0000 (UTC)

>  You guys should have been around for the AM versus SSB discussions/wars
>without the use of the instant >communication internet.
>Oh my,
>Lee  K7TJR

I was around and this discussion is real deja vu!
At 70, I qualify as an old fart just like most of you but I don't think it fair
for me to pass judgment on others who are not as fortunate as many of us have
been in having locations that could accommodate 160 antennas. When your
backyard is measured in ten's of feet and not tens of acres, compromise is the
only alternative. Covenants and shrinking lot sizes make any 160 antennae
difficult if not impossible.  Urban area hams have to also deal with the
electronic noise of all their neighbors as well as their own.
Our urban ham brothers and sisters need all the help they can get just to make
domestic contacts. I don't think it fair for me to pass judgment on a
legitimate mode of operation that allows them to enjoy 160 as I have for over
50 years almost exclusively using CW.
I started using FT8 on 6 meters where most of my openings last only 2-3
minutes. I have been able to find openings and complete many QSO's this year
that never would have happened if I only operated CW and SSB.
Stu W1BB had the attitude of; do whatever you have to to make the DX contacts.
There is no doubt in my mind that he would be using JT9, FT8, spark or whatever
it took to make new country contacts. I have always followed his advice and
have used any tool available to work DX.

If you don't like FT8, don't use it but please don't disrespect or deny those
who need it to enjoy operating top band.
Sincerely,GregW7MY