Topband: Common mode current and QRN on 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Common mode current and QRN on 160m
From: John Randall via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 13:10:07 +0000 (UTC)
I have built up a simple switch box to use on 160m which reduces the QRN a bit
on the band so that I can see the weaker stations out there. My noise level is
usually s9 and am going to try a 1:1 current balun at the antenna feed point
which is a 45mm dia 6m high pole bottom fed. I have about 15 - 20 radials in to
fit my garden 30ft x 30ft, but neeed to improve my reception and the QRN. Any
suggestions on how to cut the local "smog" other than what I am trying. The
pole is mounted abot 3ft away from the garden corner ( not ideal ), but it has
to be there. I was thinking about another antenna for receive such as a pendant
or such like mounted above the roof and use a small rotator with preamp, that
should reduce the QRN even further

73John - M0ELS