Re: Topband: Rotator creating spur on 1820

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rotator creating spur on 1820
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 00:15:57 -0500
Thanks George. I'm pretty sure that the mixer in my case is the rotator or mast contact. All I have to do to knock the spur down is just barely move the rotator. It will stay down for a few minutes, then return. The mechanism causing that is unknown at this point. I see some possibilities. It could be due to intermittent contact in the rotator bearings, or intermittent contact at the tower top bearing, or due to the diodes in the rotator power lines (inside the rotator). Looks like those diodes have no RF bypassing. I can guess why Yaesu didn't do that. Caps can easily fail when they are in circuits near lightning. If that happens the rotator would have to come down for repair. That would not be a popular feature. I'm hoping it's not those diodes. The fact that the spur drops for a few minutes after moving the rotator, is a vote in favor of something mechanical.

The suggestion of a strap around the rotator is easy to do, so I will try that (after the storms get out of our area). If the mixer is the rotator bearings or that top bearing that strap should help. If the mixer is the diodes, the strap may do nothing.

That rotator may be the mixer for both my 1820 and 3510 spurs. My 80 meter problem is from stations on 1310 and 890. (1310 + 890) + 1310 = 3510. Not sure about the contributors for the 160 spur, other than one of the stations is on 1730.

If you have a problem and the mixer is at some distance from your station you may never find it. I was originally worried that my 80 meter problem was due to a rusty fence (lots of those around here), but it could turn out to be that rotator.

My old MFJ analyzer was completely worthless on 160 due to a very close AM station. My new AA-600 is affected too but to a much lesser degree. I have a good homebrew high pass filter for my receiving antennas, 60 dB minimum. I put a 90 dB notch on the frequency of that AM station nearest me.

Jerry, K4SAV