Topband: WSPR data archive for 160M?

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: WSPR data archive for 160M?
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:03:50 -0500
Roger, you raise an interesting point about "you can see (lack of
sunrise enhancement)
very clearly when there's a contest on".

That is an interesting observation.

Several times in the past years I've been on during a weeknight
(non-weekend) in winter and observed really great enhancements around
sunrise in Europe. I've posted my RBN reports here when I've observed it -
it is not at all common for me to be reported at 40dB or 50dB above the
noise into Europe on 160M!

But when I've been on for a 160M contest weekend I rarely observe it.

I wonder if it's just a stream of bad luck that these enhancements have
been occurring but only outside contest weekends!

Maybe the guys who are super-regular on every morning for a whole year have
a better/wider perception than me, who is only occasionally on during the
week for EU sunrise.

The real experts would be the guys who run and monitor the automated WSPR
beacons. I don't know how far back that baseline goes (just a few months
ago I didn't even know how to spell WSPR!).

Tim N3QE