Re: Topband: FT8 Usage or CW QRM

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 Usage or CW QRM
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 06:37:15 -0500
Hi Ed,

On 160 meters (as well as other bands) there are the gentlemen's agreements that do depend on gentlemen. As long as the FT* folks are behaving in a civilized manner I say they should just get on the air and take their chances like everybody else.

Personally I am completely unimpressed by FT*anything*.*! Callsign, QTH, signal report are *NOT* a QSO at my radio shack. I have also been known to handle some formal message traffic. The FT type modes won't accommodate me. My decision to shun those modes is based on known reasons that I cannot ignore. But those ops don't have to be shunned or denigrated. If they have a window I can avoid them. But when contests or DX pileups occur then all bets are off. That's when I usually turn the radio off and pickup musical instruments or take the dog for a walk or perhaps (not least) visit the XYL and help her with some of her interests. Contesters and FTers can duke it out without me. It's just a hobby that once in a great while turns a little more serious (emergency communications).

73,

Bill  KU8H