Re: Topband: Hygain 18HT feed question

To: <kg9hfrank@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Hygain 18HT feed question
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 21:13:04 -0500
Hello Frank:

I am not sure if you are talking about the 18HT on 160 meters? Because you
posted on the Topband reflector I am assuming so?

The 18HT is a 51 ft vertical that requires loading to have a chance of
working on 160. There two methods - a base coil or a side coil (from the top
of the 24 ft tower) with additional wire.

Neither of these methods will work great on 160 as the 18HT is just too
short. This system has negative gain on 160 meters. You can work guys wit it
- but it does not have great performance relative to a full size quarter
wavelength vertical.

To have any shot of some success you need an extensive radial system.

Match it at the base and feed it with 50 ohm coax to your radio.

Good Luck and 73
Tim K3LR