Re: Topband: Adding a parasitic reflector to a vertical

To: "'W7RH'" <midnight18@cox.net>, "'Topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Adding a parasitic reflector to a vertical
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 14:28:05 -0500
I have been using a 3 element parasitic vertical beam on 160 for at least 20
years. K9CT, NR5M, AA1K*, VE3EJ and most recently W5ZN have the same array.
It has instant switching in 4 directions.

With 4 parasitic cut directors around the center driven element tower - it
is pretty easy to get over 5 dB of forward gain (over 40 KHz wide) and over
30 dB of front to back (over a narrow bandwidth). Easy driven element match
with an L network at the base. Each parasitic has 3 modes. Director,
Reflector or float. Going from directional to Omni is easy as well.

*AA1K has an additional director toward Europe. So he has 4 elements!

As was pointed out - the magic in any vertical antenna is all about the
radials. Each parasitic wire (4) and the center driven element tower has 120
radials that are 130 feet long (unless they cross the junction bus). I have
67,000 feet of radials under my 160 array.

I use a 120 ft 24 inch face solid leg tower as the driven element. The tower
sections are welded together to decrease any joint loss. The parasitic T
wires are #12 Copperweld.

The last three editions of the Low Band DXing book describe this antenna in
the Yagi chapter.

73
Tim K3LR