Re: Topband: High voltage insulator

To: donovanf@starpower.net
Subject: Re: Topband: High voltage insulator
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 04:51:27 -0500
Ray,

I have a very similar setup here on Cayman Brac.  The main difference is that
my quarter wave vertical for 80 comes off my 160m vertical at about 50 feet or
so and slopes down at a steeper than 45 degree angle and then back to the base
of the 160m vertical.  So it looks like a short left legged V that has been
turned 90 degrees CCW.  I don't have to short out the 160m antenna to make both
work.  Both just have hairpin coils to bump up the R.

The top of the 80m wire is attached to the vertical via a short rope and then a
few feet of polyethylene tubing which is about 1.5 inches in diameter wrapped
around the vertical.  I put it in a microwave oven and it didn't change
temperature.  It's very strong going around the vertical with four wall
thicknesses drilled through for the short rope.

I had very significant problems due to salt spray, high voltage, etc. but have
had no problems since using this material.

I didn't seek out this material but after my previous insulators failed, ropes
burned in two and antenna fell to the ground I was lucky to have spotted a new
50 foot roll of it in my neighbor's garbage while driving to go eat breakfast.
:-)

73... Stan, ZF9CW