Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] 160 vertical question (Top Hat)

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] 160 vertical question (Top Hat)
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 22:54:44 +0000
Yes, the maximum quantity of total current in the vertical section of an
inverted T, or inverted L antenna is achieved when the antenna's current loop
is placed at the center of the vertical leg.  As in all antennas this current
loop is located a quarter wavelength back from an open end.

However, raising the point of maximum current to a location above ground level,
where it occurs in an antenna whose overall length up and out is 0.25
wavelength, means that the near-field ground reflection zone moves further away
from the base of the vertical leg.  And this has implications for a field of
in- (but preferably on-) ground radials.

I like to think that the function such radials is to collect the current
radiated by the vertical that splashes on the ground and return it to the
feedpoint for recycling.  But with the point of maximum current in the vertical
raised above ground level, the splashed radiation will strike the ground
further from the feedpoint.  This suggests that longer radials will be needed.
Since there will be less radiation splashing in close to the feedpoint, it
would be economical to not add more and longer radials radiating out from the
feedpoint, but rather connect crow-foot extensions of additional wire at
intermediate points on the existing radials.

73,

Charles, W2SH