Re: Topband: Speaking of Noises...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Speaking of Noises...
From: "Jim - WS6X" <ws6x.ars@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:56:19 -0500
I too, am curious as to the source. I heard it for many years in Central
California; hear it at my current QTH in Central Shenandoah Valley; and heard
it last weekend at NR4M.
I describe it as a scratchy sound, sometimes with a bit of tonality. Always 4
pulses (although I don't think I've ever heard the 4 followed by 3 as Bill
describes.). I've never timed the interval between the groups of 4, but it is
fairly infrequent. I'll hear it throughout the evening when I'm at the radio
for long periods. It is loud enough on 160 here in VA that it will wipe out all
but the strongest signals. I will have to pay more attention to details and
record when I hear it.
I wish I was better at phonics, but what I hear has distinct articulation:
"Gugghk  gugghk gugghk gugghk". 😊
Jim, WS6X

1. Speaking of noises... (Bill Tippett)
Message: 1