Re: Topband: Excessive noise on beverages

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Excessive noise on beverages
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:21:37 -0400
Dave,  You might be able to take the TX tower shunt wire to ground with a
relay and change its resonant frequency.  Another solution might be a cage
wire feed which when taking directly to the ground might act as a
decoupling sleeve.  Broadcast engineer have experience in this since
electrical power towers can drastically change
their multi-tower directional patterns. I would Google this since
consulting engineers have written papers on how to do this.I would strongly
advise you to put a 1:1 balun and only ground the shack side coax.  DX
Engineering makes one of these and the cost is under $50.  Long coax runs
seem to carry the noise back to the antenna feed point and these will
provide good isolation and may reduce the noise pickup significantly.
Before you do anything it is important to identify the noise source and
type.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ