Topband: 9M0W - More Bad Luck and near disaster for me...and the Dx'pedi

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 9M0W - More Bad Luck and near disaster for me...and the Dx'pedition
From: k1zm--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 19:30:12 -0400
I sat in Doha for my 9 hours and boarded the plane at 0145 local.  We were
supposed to take off at 0245 but at 4AM we were still sitting on the tarmac
which I had not noticed as I had the headphones on watching a movie.

The captain said "sorry for the delay in taking off - we were loading
cargo!!!!!!!!!!+*&%$#@+++  - GO FIGURE!  QFU QFU QFU!

This meant I would miss my connection from KL to SABAH.

As we landed in KL. a QATAR agent had a sign with my name on it at the end of
the jetway.  I asked why they were looking for me.  They had arranged an
alternate flight to KK on MALINDO airways - where I was originally on MALAYSIAN
AIR.

I asked specifically about my (2) bags of luggage and we stopped at a counter
to deal with the issue of getting my bags to KK onMY PLANE!!!!!

(NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I arrived in KK with NO BAGS on the arrival luggage chute - and spent the next
hour with MALAYSIAN Airlines luggage.  They worked for quite some time and
advised they had NO IDEA were all my stuff had gone.  I filed a claim sheet and
took a taxi to my hotel.

I later hooked up with Krassy, CHRIS VK3FY and Peter VK3GN - for a few beers
and a burger at the Hyatt Regency.  Then crashed as I was a total zombie - with
no clothes except for one tee shirt - and my winter clothes were soaked with
sweat from the humidity and2.5 days on the planes.

I would try to follow up with Air Malaysia the next morning (this was now SAT
night - having left on Thurs night from BOSTON.)

Jeff Briggs
DXing on the Edge: The Thrill of 160 Meters
Available worldwide through BookBaby, Array Solutions, DX Engineering, Royal
Society of Great Britain, & Amazon