Re: Topband: Short inverted Ls

To: "'topband reflector'" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Short inverted Ls
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:13:14 -0400
Pete:

     From what I've read on Topband and TowerTalk over the years, a low Vee as
you're proposing is likely to be a cloud warmer.  I had a Hygain 18AVT at this
QTH but it wasn't a worthwhile antenna.  I had few radials (maybe 4) made from
copperweld which deteriorated within a year or two.  I must admit that I did
not use NoAlOx or Scotchbrite when I assembled the components so that probably
worked against me.

     However, I have shunt-fed my 64 foot Trylon tower with a Skyhawk atop it
and it works great, i.e., I work everything I can hear.  This antenna provides
vertical radiation vs horizontal for the Vee's, but it also needs a radial
field.  Mine consists of seven #18 insulated wires on the ground - five 120
feet long each and two 35 feet long.  The tower also has a lightning ground
systems of three buried #2 bare copper solid wires totaling about 135 feet and
Cadwelded to 12 ground rods.

     My tower also has a half-sloper wire for 80M hung off the side.  I see no
interaction between the shunt feed and the wire so have at it.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F