Re: Topband: 160M Balun

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Balun
From: "Peter Voelpel" <dj7ww@t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 20:37:25 +0200
Hi Frank,

I just don´t see a reason to make chokes self resonant.
If one really needs that a parallel resonant LC circuit can be formed with a
normal choke and a capacitor.
On my 160m dipole the choke at the feed point is wound with RG 141 on a
stack of two large ferrite toroids which gives me a Z of about 10k.
In addition the outer conductor is connected to the tower after a quarter
wave length and the coax run inside the tower and grounded to one leg.
The same tower is direct fed as an elevated GP at the 25m level against two
sloping radials with the outer connector bonded to the tower.
I never saw any common mode current when the common mode chokes XL was at
least 100 times the coax Z.

73
Peter