Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Advise needed on phased beverages

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Advise needed on phased beverages
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:01:08 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Tonno,

Broadside phased Beverages and short verticals do work! As you
should have seen in your modelling, broadside spacing determines
the angle of radiation with optimum front-to-side ratio.

I've had excellent results with broadside phased Beverages at W3LPL,
and more recently with broadside-endfire arrays of short verticals
(W8JI passive 8-circle arrays).

Beverages and short verticals are so lossy that they don't interact with
each other even at very small spacings.

During my professional career I worked on Beverage arrays with 32,
64 and 128 broadside phased Beverages for 3 to 30 MHz. The Beverages
were installed over a field as precisely flat as a football field but much
larger. There were no obstructions or other antennas within hundreds
of meters of the array. in every direction.

The patterns were verified by a transmitter flown on an aircraft -- flying
in a precisely controlled pattern accurately reported by telemetry --
and received by the Beverage array. I wish we could afford to do
this precision pattern measurement with our ham antennas!

On 160 meters you should achieve best results by phasing just the
two outer Beverages. The middle Beverage doesn't contribute much,
as you should see in your model.

On 80 meters your Beverages are probably too long, its likely that
signals arriving at the far end of your Beverage have the wrong phase
relationship to signals arriving at the near end. Y ou should achieve
the best results by phasing only the two closest Beverages.

Your model won't accurately predict this because antenna models
always -- incorrectly -- assume a constant-phase received signal
wave front. In many cases the wave front on 80 meters will not be
phase coherent across an array more than one wavelength wide
nd/or more than one wavelength long.

Perhaps your lack of broadside directivity is caused by common
mode signals leaking into your system from the outside of the coax
cable shields. You didn't mention common mode chokes in your
antenna description,

73
Frank
W3LPL