Re: Topband: VE1ZZ has passed on - Very Very Sad news! (Long)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VE1ZZ has passed on - Very Very Sad news! (Long)
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:20:59 -0300
Jeff,

Thanks for passing this on.  I have forwarded your (sad) note in its
entirety to the MCC fellas.

Your tour of his shack and visit were nearly identical to my own, sometime
in the mid to late 1990's

His way of building antennas etc. left a big impression on me and I still
make some connections outside

like Jack. (two pcs of hardline tied together up under a 2L plastic pop
bottle for example)

He sure had a way about him.

I was very lucky to have met him, got the wonderful tour like you, while my
XYL visited with Opal. (my wife didn't think I was coming back, but I
explained "we walked up this hill for a mile" to look at antennas, she
understood.

We'd talk here and there on 6m as well.  He encouraged me to build a rope
yagi for 6m (which I did years later, and worked my only JA on 6m with
it..so Jack, you were right !)  He was one of the first DXCC's on 6m in
Canada...I'd have to look it up, but in the top 5 for sure.  Often he'd work
stuff others weren't hearing on 6m too.  A magical QTH and a unassuming man
with lots of magic too.

I'll miss him.

dit dit Jack!

Mike VE9AA