Topband: 160m Parasitic array

To: 160 reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m Parasitic array
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:23:11 -0600
This summer two 75’ top-loaded parasitic elements were installed at my remote
QTH and are tuned to act either as a reflector or director to provide a 4
direction array using my existing shunt-fed crank-up tower as the central
driver.

I wrote some detail on the modelling, electrical and mechanical design as well
as construction notes on the installation if anyone is interested:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eVklkZtlJW93JIJ9oDqbCyl-Jkik6YEX/view
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eVklkZtlJW93JIJ9oDqbCyl-Jkik6YEX/view>

Perhaps of interest to those considering adding a parasitic to an existing 160m
vertical are my notes about tuning the array.  I have often read that field
strength testing for gain and F/B is used as a tuning approach. This can be
problematic, time consuming and tedious.  I describe a tuning approach which
allows the array to be tuned quickly and with confidence to the desired F/B or
gain points using just the antenna analyzer at the feedpoint.
Here is a video of installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXDTEj0xDJU
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXDTEj0xDJU>

73, de steve VE6WZ.