Topband: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 11:12:27 -0500
There are some untrue things being assumed here, as if they are advantages
to FT8 that make FT8 be a more productive mode for DX'ing.

In fact FT8 is the least productive of all modes I used in 2018. And I was
on FT8 a lot in 2018. I tried hard to be productive in FT8 - measured in
Q's per hour, or DXCC , or any other quantitative measure. And FT8 was far
and away the least productive mode for me.

You will note I am no stranger to digital modes - I am often in top 3 of CQ
WW RTTY in USA SO HP(A). So please take for granted that I am competent at
digital modes and my poor FT8 results are not because I'm a poor digital
mode operator.

In below calculations I use "half hour off time" calculations, in
calculating on time for each mode. "Half hour off time" calculations are
super commonly done in contests.

In 2018 I was on CW for 481 hours. I made 32610 QSO's for a rate of 68 per
hour and worked 185 DXCC.

In 2018 I was on SSB for 107 hours. I made 7344 QSO's for a rate of 69 per
hour and worked 104 DXCC.

In 2018 I was on RTTY for 250 hours. I made 13319 QSO's for a rate of 53
per hour and worked 117 DXCC's.

In 2018 I was on FT8 for 376 hours. I made 6460 QSO's for a rate of 17 per
hour and worked 110 DXCC's.

BY ANY QUANTITATIVE MEASURE, FT8 was my least productive mode by far.

I DO NOT HAVE A SUPERSTATION. In fact I just have a single wire antenna.
But I have worked hard on developing my operating skills in all modes in my
40 years of being a ham.

If I had to choose one mode in 2019 to exercise and improve my skills, it
would be phone. I can get on for a half hour in Tuesday night phone fray
with 100W and make Q's at a rate of 40-60Q's an hour (rates completely
unachievable with FT8). While I have greatly improved my phone skills in
the past couple years, I still think there's lots of room for improvement!

Tim N3QE