Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 194, Issue 21

To: Jay Terleski <jayt@arraysolutions.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 194, Issue 21
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 16:25:36 -0800

On 2/19/2019 10:13 AM, Jay Terleski wrote:
The SAL-30 will be fine in a forested plot.
Nothing unstabel with the pattern or performance as it is a very mature
deisgn that does not push the paramaters of the preamp.  The nice thing
about it is it also forms the pattern before any gain stages so there is no
mixing or IMD of AM or SW broadcast.  My HI-Z Four Square always had high
IMD and birdies from the local AM stations here in DFW.  The SAL has a
built in AM BCB high pass filter too before the preamp. As the magic T
Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
214 954 7140

Jay has given us an excellent tutorial on the tradeoffs
between arrays of active elements and arrays of passive
elements.  My QTH is 6 miles from a 50 kW BCB station
so active whips are useless.  AFAIK, you can't put
a filter in front of them, and in any event you would
need N matched filters.  Very well explained.  First
form a pattern, second filter out BCB, third go through
a preamp.  Ready, aim, fire...

Rick N6RK