Re: Topband: doublet as marconi

To: Mike DeChristopher <mfdechristopher@gmail.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: doublet as marconi
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 14:22:37 -0700

On 4/10/2019 10:33 AM, Mike DeChristopher wrote:

My plan is a 200' doublet (100' each side) about 100' high fed with ladder
line. At the base will be a legal limit remote autotuner and thereafter
hardline to the shack. That setup should handle 10-80. On 160, I'd like to
short the ladder line together and feed as a T against the existing radial
field.
Mike N1TA

This can be made to work, but keep in mind that it will be resonant way
down in the BCB, something like 1.2 MHz.  The drive impedance on 160
will be fairly high (maybe 50 to 100 ohms) with a lot of inductive reactance in series. You can probably skimp on the radials because of this. It would be somewhat debatable as to whether to call this a true Marconi antenna, but it should work fine anyway.

73
Rick N6RK