Topband: Fresnel Zone

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Fresnel Zone
From: Ray Higgins <ray.w2re@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 10:48:57 -0400
I have two questions about fresnel zone.

I just purchased 22.5/ac near the ocean near Machiasport, ME. This is in the
Northeast corner of Maine about 30 miles south of Eastport and a Lubec. This is
going to be my personal Remote Contest station! I plan to be contesting from
this new qth starting in 2020 but will be QRV by mid 2019 for testing.
This qth is anywhere between 1-3 miles from the ocean or the bay, it sits on a
high plateau 150’ asl thats slopes in all directions to saltwater (peninsula)
except N/NW. The property has a saltwater river and marsh that runs the
perimeter from south to north favoring the NE direction,  the marsh is only
50-100' wide and 1500-2000’ away from the property. The land has a gradual
slope to the marsh.

My questions:

1.) Is the saltwater river bed/marsh wide enough to be an effective field in
the Fresnal Zone?
2.) What is the wavelengths needed to be within the Fresnal zone of a
river/marsh compared to an ocean?

In this photo album (last pic) I have outlined the river saltwater marsh and
property boundry from a google earth shot.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ui79t2jFo95b29et6

I’m only concerned about 80 and 160m in the Fresnal Zone.

Any input would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Ray W2RE

Sent from my iPhone