Re: Topband: Fresnel Zone

To: Ray Higgins <ray.w2re@gmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fresnel Zone
From: Emir Memic <emir.memic@emssolutions.at>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 15:56:41 +0000
Ray,

If we are talking about horizontal polarized antennas
You cant be high enough on 80m/160m
And there is no needs to think a lot about effects of fresnel zone on 160/80

Not even with 300m high tower

Of course if there are no uphills around you .....but so far understand you
That location is free with slight slope around

In my mind its  important to have flat or homogeny slope in desired direction
Effect of excellent soil is not so critical for ground reflection if you are
using horizontal polarized antennas!

On other side for vertical antennas soil is more important but directly under
the antennas and in closed flied!

In simple words if you can have antenna in saltwater or very close to it put it
in

If you are far away from good soil with vertical (even 1 wavelength) you will
need standard numbers of radials under the antenna!

Iif you are on flat terrain with excellent soil you will need very large
antenna on high tower to outperform 4SQ on 80m !

On 160m is non sense to even try something else than vertical or vertical arrays

73s
Braco
E77DX

--