Re: Topband: FT8 on 160 - how you can make a difference

To: George Taft <w8uvz@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 on 160 - how you can make a difference
From: Marco Cogoni <cogoni@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 21:02:08 +0200
Hi all,
FT8 has the advantage of being located in a single frequency.
So if one arrives on a totally empty band he'll be attracted to
that single "watering hole" just like insects around a lonely
light at night.
It happens frequently to find a desert 10m band except for some
weak beacons and the FT8 segment is S7-8: I can recognize the Costas
arrays by hear ;)
FT8 has some theoretical SNR advantage over CW and other
digimodes, but its strength comes from the single gathering point
and its extremely low access effort.
Personally I deem operating FT8 just a tad more rewarding than
keeping a beacon active or having a KiwiSDR doing WSPR...

What I hate about FT8 is its "closeness" regardless of WSJTX being
open source: if your code is obfuscated, too complex to understand
and you don't even publish a scientific paper to describe the details,
I think the ham community should revolt against this status quo.
Imagine using SSB/CW receivers without knowing the technical details
and produced by a single guy in the whole world... that's crazy.
Even GSM/UMTS/LTE is more documented.

Personally I don't want to be an appliance operator.

73,
marco / IS0KYB

--
marco cogoni