Re: Topband: 160 skip distance

To: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 skip distance
From: Brian Campbell <VE3MGY@hotmail.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 19:38:35 +0000
Hi Jerry and group,

I was one of those stations Jerry. I worked you at 1712z and 1717z on
2008-01-05. I was running 100 watts and the distance was 1200km. We gave each
other 549 reports IIRC ( from my log ).

I was on for about 7 days at or just after local noon here doing tests and I
worked about 14 stations ranging from 200 to 1200 km out.

However my best "DX" was W8JI at 1270 km who gave me a 579 at 100 watts. I then
went to 5 watts and he gave me a 479(!) But then again it was W8JI...

So yes there IS prop on 160 even at high noon - at least out to 1000km or so.
But like you said it helps if people are QRV. I self spotted at the time to let
everyone know which definitely helped.

73,
Brian
VE3MGY