Re: Topband: YCCC 9 circle preamp failure test

To: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: YCCC 9 circle preamp failure test
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 00:06:59 +0000
Hello again Steve,
   It seems to me that one could determine what was going on by making two
tests. One is to simply bypass the capacitor with a wire to see if its
rectifying. The other is to monitor the DC voltage on the output pin of the
8055. If for some reason there is leakage causing the problem the voltage at
the output pin of the 8055 would be something different than ~1/2 the value of
the 4740A Zener voltage. About 5 VDC.
  Of course all this capacitor damage would maybe not happen with a drain
resistor of 1Megohm or so right on the input terminals. But why do that if you
can successfully short that input capacitor and not use at it at all putting a
few volts on the element. A regular old discap would be a good choice for a
replacement if one wanted higher voltage capacitor.
 I highly recommend that the element insulators be checked for leakage also.
They should be around a Megohm or more with nothing connected.

Lee   K7TJR
Hi-Z Antennas