Re: Topband: ZK3A .........

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ZK3A .........
From: <n4cc@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 12:04:46 -0600
DXCC card checkers have to put the QSO time on sheets that are submitted for
DXCC.  If the station did not work ZK3A at a time that is reasonable based on
sunrise/sunset, then ARRL will not count the credit.  A station could
theoretically use a remote station that had propagation to the DX during a
period of darkness in the Ukraine but if they do, they cheat themselves.

How can you be so sure that there was not a short sunrise or sunset opening to
Ukraine that allowed the stations to make the contact?  Were there any DX
cluster spots from the Ukraine when they worked them?

I have worked 4S7 and VU from the USA and believe me the opening was SHORT and
rare -- but not impossible.  In the case of the 4S7 there were half a dozen 4's
all in the same general area who were the only ones who heard the 4S7.  If I
remember, N4NN, NX4D, N4PN and I were the only ones to work him...but there may
have been one or two others.  Spotlight propagation.

If the cheaters cheat, it doesn't hurt you...it only discredits them.   If they
show up on a DXCC list and everyone knows they cheat, they get no glory.  The
top guys on 160 know who is legitimate.  It's not worth worrying about.  The
DXCC desk will do whatever possible to detect and penalize cheating but
sometimes it is difficult.  The ZK3A guys likely have a good feel for whether
the Ukraine stations they worked were using remote or were legit.

73, Greg-N4CC