Topband: Beverage Length vs F/B or (RDF?)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverage Length vs F/B or (RDF?)
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:53:17 -0400
Jim

Poor front to back can indeed be a result of being too long. Although w8JI would argue that at 700 feet your just about at optimum (1.5 wavelengths)  I would think it would be easy to add an insulator /jumper and a set of terminations and  grounds at ~500 feet and see what the difference is.

What kind of grounds do you have at the ends? Living on a granular quartz plane myself with very poor ground conductivity ( I can push a 5ft length of  1/2" copper pipe 3ft in the ground by hand (pure sand!)  and easily tap it in the last two feet with a hammer)  I would think that the grounds at the end would indeed have an effect on front to back or RDF which is the latest popular figure of merit ( how do you actually MESAURE RDF?).

I often wonder how one knows when one has a "good enough ground". I have read https://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm many times. Tom suggest a proxy method using temporary radials which I don't have the topography to install in a meaningful way.  The net result is I take Tom's measurements with a grain of salt since they are done on soil with much better conductivity than you (apparently ) or I have

Dave
NR1DX