Re: Topband: BCB Filter Recommendation?

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: BCB Filter Recommendation?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 08:21:35 -0700

On 4/17/2020 6:22 AM, Joe wrote:

Is radio manufacturers that include steep filters and even attenuators in their radios to block AM Broadcast band signals. Then advertise that their radio covers from 50 KC to 60 Mhz!
Sorry NO IT DOES NOT!!!

It is extremely sad when a ten buck radio with it's internal ferrite bar antenna performs better than my $4000.00 dollar radio using a 600 foot loop up 60 feet antenna!

Joe WB9SBD
Sig

The AM BCB is unique, compared to 160/630/2200 meters, in that every
channel is occupied by multiple strong signals 24/7 that are strong
enough to overcome receiver noise with a tuned ferrite bar antenna.
A 600 foot loop is omni directional and horizontally polarized and
thus IMHO is a non-starter for BCB DX.  If you want to go beyond the
ferrite bar antenna, you could put up short beverages.  I used to
have six beverages spaced at 60 degrees azimuth that were only 400
feet long.  Although "too short" for BCB, in fact they were VERY
directional.  On a typical channel, at least 3 different stations
could be received, each on its own beverage.  In some cases 4 or
5 different stations could be heard.  My pocket size Sangean radio
($60 not $10) has amazing nulling capability for power line noise
due to its small antenna (better nulling than a big loop).  I
remember an amazing incident with this radio when I was listening
to a station in San Diego on 770 kHz IIRC and I accidentally turned
the radio so as to null out this station.  Up popped WJR in Detroit.
Not bad AM DX for a pocket radio on the left coast.

And now back to HAM radio.

73
Rick N6RK