Topband: R.e. Lew McCoy article from CQ (Slopers)

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: R.e. Lew McCoy article from CQ (Slopers)
From: <k3ky@radioprism.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:20:03 -0700
Pete:

Going only by memory, I did have a quarter wave sloper on my 120ft.
tower.
This was some time in the late 80's or 1990 or so. As I remember, it got
out surprisingly well. I remember being able to hold a run frequency in
(probably) the ARRL 160m contest. I do remember working a lot of US
stations- and that was with only a 100W transmitter BTW.

I remember not being able to find a resonance, in terms of SWR minimum,
but OTOH the SWR was not prohibitively high so I just used it and didn't
worry about that. I say go for it. A sloper on a 50ft. tower should be
easy enough to try.

73, David K3KY