Re: Topband: 2 wire reversible Beverage- KF4ITA Mikek

To: Mikek <amdx@knology.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 wire reversible Beverage- KF4ITA Mikek
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 11:44:34 -0700
I use two lengths of WD1/TT (twisted pair), with the strands in each
length twisted together. The two lengths are parallel, separated by
about 4.5 inches, and threaded loosely through a hole in a ceramic
insulator screwed into opposing faces of wood 4x4s. The 4x4s stick out
of the ground seven feet and are spaced 60ft apart. The ceramic
insulators cost about $1/ea at a farm supply company. I think I paid
about $50 for unused half mile spools of the WD1/TT.

The WD1/TT parallel lengths are about 720 ft long, with a pulley at
the far end to equalize the tension. I realize this is not a practical
possibility for many top/banders (I have a desert QTH) but I mention
it to tout the virtues of WD1/TT and its variants. It is cheap,
extremely durable, and much stronger and reliable than ladder line,
RG6, or single conductor household wire. In my opinion it is perfect
beverage wire.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone