Re: Topband: Some experiments with a short beverage, not succeeding very

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Some experiments with a short beverage, not succeeding very well
From: Fred Moeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 17:44:04 -0400
Mark,
I'm no expert and relatively new to the Beverage antenna but have done lots of experimenting with them.
My thoughts....

First don't give up short Beverages work just fine...you just work with with you have. I would try to use good rg6 one piece no splice...you should not have to use a preamp.
Put 450 ohm resistor on the antenna.

Also test the transformer with the 450 ohm resistor.
Antenna analyzer will check the antenna.

Few years ago I put up a 580' wire to the south unterminated ..I left it up for a year.
It worked really good for me and opened my eyes to the rx antenna.
The next year I put a 480 ohm resistor on it and it really played good.

After that I put a north Beverage at 300' it worked very good.

So now I changed things around a little.
South Beverage is 350' Nice and straight and this one works real good f/b seems good too. West Beverage is 250' nice and straight and works good but the f/b is not the best.

The the north Beverage is now 450' but has a bow in it...so I call it the "Oxbow Beverage" it starts at abt 40 degs and bends to the south to abt 200 degs. This one the output is down but still works...this is also my longest run of rg 6 cable.
I am troubleshooting this antenna now..

Good links ...lots of good ones but I have been to these abt a million times.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181115070846/http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html
http://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm
ps://www.youtube.com/user/ve6wz/videos

Anyway keep us posted and good luck.