Re: Topband: Common mode choking of beverages - which side of grounded s

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Common mode choking of beverages - which side of grounded shack entry panel?
From: donovanf@erols.com
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 02:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Bill,

The antenna feed point is where common mode signals on the outside
of coaxial cable shield most easily and severely degrade antenna
directivity. This a critical antenna performance issue for very low
signal level compact receiving antennas such as small loops and
short high impedance verticals and somewhat less critical for higher
signal level receiving antennas such as Beverages and resonant
short verticals (such as umbrella verticals).

Common mode signals less severely affect the performance of
high signal level antennas such as Yagis, horizontal dipoles and
quarter wavelength verticals over extensive radial systems
laid directly on the ground. However, multi-transmitter and
SO2R contest stations should use common mode chokes at their
antenna feed points to minimize cross-station interference.

Double shielded coaxial cable or hard line coax with properly installed
high quality coaxial connectors greatly minimize the penetration
of common mode signals into the coaxial cable and the equipment to
which it is connected. In most cases common mode chokes will not
be needed in or near your shack.

If common mode signals are penetrating into your transceiver
-- especially in a multi-transmitter contest station -- the most
effective common mode choke location is directly at the coaxial
cable connection to the transceiver.

73
Frank
W3LPL