Re: Topband: TopBand DX

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: TopBand DX
From: Mail 10 <mail10@barefoothorse.com.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 10:07:11 +1100
Yes, I too enjoy reading the posts, and am also missing DXpedition activity. I'm at 143 countries and 34 Zones worked and confirmed, and am always looking for new ones. I hear/see some Caribbean stations fairly regularly, but no luck there recently. Of course, they are subject to almost constant tropical noise. I know what that's like having operated from Christmas Is, Cocos-Keeling Is, and Mellish Reef.

It's nice to work old friends regularly, and a few new ones from time to time when conditions are good.

Yesterday, I was hearing John OX/OZ1LXJ again, but nowhere near as well as the day before. He was mostly coming in from the South again, and then after his sunrise from the expected Northerly direction, but he never peaked while I was listening to the point where I could confidently complete a QSO.
USA was weak here again, but East Asia was ok.

As for weekday vs weekend operation, I usually work weekends and weekdays and my days off are random. I would favour a mid-week operation activity, but of course your Wednesday Night CW sched is around midday here! Weekends, I tend to spend less time on the radio, as I generally avoid Contests, however, I will see what I can work this weekend for the Stew Perry Contest!

73, Luke VK3HJ