Re: Topband: Feedline Choke Placement in RX systems

To: "'Lee STRAHAN'" <k7tjr@msn.com>, "'Dennis W0JX'" <w0jx@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Feedline Choke Placement in RX systems
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:52:33 -0500
I do have very high CMI chokes (0ver 10K ohms) at the feedpoint of each
vertical element and at the HI-Z combiner box for each element. This may
seem extreme, but I am more than pleased with the results. I have been
working on improving the low band RX systems here for many years. I have a
113 ft diameter HI-Z 8 circle. And a 113 ft diagonal HI-Z 4 square. The two
arrays have identical element configurations - it is just one is 8 and the
other 4. The array centers are spaced 500 feet apart and they are broadside
to Europe. The loss and electrical length of the feed lines going to the two
arrays are calibrated so they are the same. We have a custom switch that
allows us to listen to the 8 circle alone, the 4 square alone or put them in
phase or out of phase.

Both arrays use 23 foot vertical elements (DXE AL-24) with two 4 ft ground
rods at the base. I am using older HI-Z element buffers that have been
modified to take power directly - not via the RG6 bias tee coax. Any amount
of moisture in a system that feeds DC and RX RF together can have noise
problems. I am confident in my ability to weatherproof, however I wanted the
best possible result. So there are high CMI chokes in the RF and DC lines -
24 chokes and 24 feedlines (one for RF and one for DC). There are so many
things in the arrays that we cannot control, I try to control as many items
as I can.

I built all new verticals (12) this summer and used weatherproofing at each
element joint to keep any moisture out of the element junctions. I also
replaced the older dual shield RG6 with the newer quad shield RG6. Lastly, I
changed out my older HI-Z combiners for the latest ones that Lee makes.
Surface mount components, many with 1% tolerances and improved F connector
mountings.

W8WWV developed a choke system that we use at the element feed - that makes
these arrays deaf above 4 MHz. That helps keep down the possible mixing with
all of the multi multi TX RF here.

So - how do the HI-Z arrays work? Very well. There is great pattern "snap"
as you rotate the array around, with close to 30 dB of F/B. John, N2NC was
the 160 SSB operator here for CQWW and he told me the arrays are working
very well. I was the 160 meter operator this past weekend and even under
poor conditions I thought the performance was very good. Sunday morning I
worked ZM4T who was not very strong, at 1115 Z I worked JW7QIA, then an
amazing QSO at 1130 Z with RW0A in Zone 18. All using the HI-Z arrays. The
ability to feed these arrays out of phase is impressive as it sometimes
fills in - where a station is not directly at 45 degrees, 135 degrees etc.
The best position for RW0A was 45 degrees - both arrays but fed out of
phase. That put a strong lobe at 15 degrees - perfect! I have worked Zone 18
before on 160, but it was always done in the evening here - around 0130 Z.

No more Beverages at K3LR...

73
Tim K3LR