Re: Topband: Spot: N5J 1828.5 up 1

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>, Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spot: N5J 1828.5 up 1
From: Wes Stewart via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2024 14:26:33 +0000 (UTC)

I worked K6LPL too.  Jan Gould, WA6YQW, was seriously injured in the plane
crash.  Jan was airlifted to Hawaii where she was treated at the Trippler US
Army Hospital.  She had a broken leg and back and IIRC a broken pelvis.  She
was put into a body cast and traction.
I talked to Jan several times after this and remember the following:  (It's
been over 40 years, so I'll do my best.)
Jan went to the military hospital because her husband was retired Navy. While
there an orderly mistakenly lifted her out of bed and put her in a wheelchair.
She was re-injured by this and her other treatment was just as bad.  So they
decided to airlift her back to CA and treat her at Anaheim Memorial Hospital.
A trust fund had been set up to help with expenses.  They were uninsured and
wound up selling their house to pay expenses.  So when I talked to her she was
living with a daughter in Montana, or Idaho.  She was still suffering trauma
from this both physical and mental.  She told me that she had nightmares, about
being trapped in the airplane, bathed in gasoline.  Whether that was real or
not I do not know but it was what tormented her.  I was working a temporary
second shift so I was on the radio in the wee hours after getting home and that
is when she was up, unable to sleep.  My job changed and I lost track of her.

Wes  N7WS

ps. Some of the foregoing was gleaned from The DX Bulletin, archived at
https://www.yasme.org/dx-bulletin/ ; fascinating reading.

    On Sunday, August 11, 2024 at 12:11:47 AM MST, Mike Fatchett W0MU