HY-GAIN ROTOR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: HY-GAIN ROTOR
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 09:21:31 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Carlos!

For a $70.00 difference in price, the T2X is a much better buy!
Electrically (all electrical components, including the motor and brake
selonoid) are EXACTLY IDENTICAL.  The control boxes are exactly
identical, the only difference is in the rotator itself, and the
differences entirely mechanical: braking strength, structural
integrity of the case and structural integrity of the rotator
mount to your tower shelf.

Specific differences are:

Significantly stronger case with stronger brake grooves.

Six 5/16" bolts and nuts instead of four 1/4" bolts fastened to the
threaded aluminum case to connect the top and bottom halves of the case,
In the T2X these bolts do not loosen from vibration (a serious problem in
the HAM-4)!

Six 5/16" bolts instead of four 1/4" bolts to attach the rotator to the
tower.

Dual ball bearing races supporting the antenna weight rather than a single
race.

Much stronger brake wedge assembly.

I think that captures the most important differences!
I have six T2X rotators (and NO HAM-4s!).

I have always purchased reconditioned T2X rotators from Norm's Rotor
Service, I've never purchased them new!  He has a homepage on the World
Wide Web.  You can get to it via the PVRC Homepage:
http://www.access.digex.net/~k3sa/pvrc.html.  His rotators are
reconditioned to be like new (actually better than new!), htey are
guarenteed, and cheaper too!

I turn some VERY LARGE antennas with T2X rotators!  The only disadvantage
is that the motor has trouble turning the large antennas in high winds,
but no problem with braking.  I've been using T2X rotators on these large
antennas for ten years, and they were all overhauled (routine preventative
maintenance) two years ago.  These are my antennas turned with a T2X:

five  element 20M monobander on a 48 foot boom
six   element 15M monobander on a 48 foot boom
seven element 10M monobander on a 48 foot boom

The only antenna I own that is too large (much too large!) for a T2X is my
full size 3 element 40M beam!  For that antenna I use a prop-pitch.

My primary reason for staying with T2X rotators rather than any other
rotator is ease of replacement in an emergency.  You can swap rotators
quicker than you can climb up and down my 200 foot towers!  I'd recommend
that u also consider the purchase of a spare rotator assembly.  If u
purchase reconditioned units, the extra cost to purchase one control box
and two rotators should be affordable.

73!
Frank
W3LPL