Re[4]: Big, heavy mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[4]: Big, heavy mast
From: sawyers@cacd.rockwell.com (sawyers)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 08:00:44 cst
A direct hit by a tornado is one of those "Acts of God" that you can't
engineer against, like having a plane fly into your tower. We had a local
occurence where a plane hit a guy wire on 700' tower. Sheared the wing off
the single engine Cessna but the tower stayed up. Now if it had been a
direct hit on the tower, it would have been a different story. Anyway, in a
tornado, a bigger threat is the neighbor's garage roof blowing off in the
gust front away from the tornado and taking out your tower.

I don't use the UBC, very much prefer and recommend Electronic Industries
Association standard 222 rev E (EIA-222-E). They basically don't recognize
anything other than Exposure C and have an extra factor based on height of
the structure. They also do a better job of specifiying how to calculate
the effective area of everything that is hanging in the breeze. They use it
on everything up to 2000' so it gets a little hairy.

There is an even more strigent international standard that is used in
Europe.

de n0vyv steve