M-Square/Emoto Rotator Experience?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: M-Square/Emoto Rotator Experience?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 13:57:55 -0400
>I've looked closely at the M2 OR-2800 and MT-3000A combination and am
>concerned about its repeatability...that's to say "will it know where it
>is and return to the same spot every time".  I've heard that because it
>uses a pulse counting system, it can lose track of where it is. In my
>circumstance (a remotely controlled operation) that'd be a serious
>problem.  On the plus side, the M2 combination can move almost anything I
>throw at it!

Eric --

       I don't have any satellite or direct Orion experience but I've
installed a few and they do seem to be pretty brute.  Result - increased
reliability.  The digital control box looks nice but again no direct
experience.

>The alternative is the Emoto.  This appears to be a beefier version of the
>Kenpro/Yaesu rotors.  But they are analog controlled (I want to run the
>rotors from a Unix box), and I have yet to see anyone in this area with
them.

     I ran a small survey a week or two ago (results as yet unpublished) and
asked about the Create and Emoto rotators since I don't have any direct
experience with them.  To cut to the chase, the Create  was given high marks
for reliability; the Emoto was not.  Both rotators suffer from mediocre parts
and service support and both use the two-piece mast clamp which can be broken
easily during installation.

     I don't know if this is helpful to you or just added to the band noise.

73,  Steve   K7LXC