using house as a guypoint

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: using house as a guypoint
From: bfrede@poci.amis.com (Bill Frede)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:05:48 -0600
I need some advice from the tower gurus.   I am planning on erecting a 50 foot
Rohn 25 tower on my city lot in such a way that will require one anchor point
be the house itself.  I am looking for advice from someone that has done
something similar and opinions from anyone else.

Here's the deal.  The lot is 160x90 feet and is relatively flat even though
this is a
mountainous area.  To keep neighbors and wife somewhat happy with this setup I
have decided to locate the base at the side of the house along the centerline.
This
puts it 25 feet from the side lot line.  The house is a rectangular two story.
(32x26
feet and 27 feet tall at the peak)

The Rohn book calls for two sets of guys at 23 and 45 feet.  For the lower guy
point I thought I would use a house bracket and reinforce the attachment point
similar to this month's QST article written by Tony Brock-Fisher, K1KP.  For
the
top guys I will run two wires away from the house to elevated guyposts.  The
third guy will run back inline with the peak of the house.  I propose attaching
it to a
mast that runs vertically down through the roof peak.  The mast will sit on an
assembly of wooden 4x4s that are attached to the ceiling joists and rafters.
Suggestions on mast material and diameter?  No waterpipe, right?  It would
probably be
6 feet tall.

I haven't heard of or seen a setup like I have suggested but it seems like it
would
be safe if properly designed and constructed.  Your thoughts?
Thanks and 73,
Bill Frede   AA0WO
Pocatello, Idaho
bfrede@poci.amis.com