Guy Wire Spacing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Guy Wire Spacing
From: fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 12:55:59 -0400
Hi Will-

I did a similar short-guying thing on my tower. I was too close to a property
line on one guy. Under the advice of a PE, I did the following:

 The tower was 70 feet of Rohn 45. The Rohn book calls for 2 sets of guys,
with 4A anchors 56 feet from the base. Each guy was 1/4" EHS.

What my PE did, was:

1. Go from 2 sets of guys to 3, 22, 44, and 66 feet.
2. Move the close anchor in from 56 to 30 feet (43%).
3. Increase the anchor from 4A to 4B.
4. Increase the wire size on the short guyed side to 5/16" EHS.

Bottom line is, it's possible. I'd advise having a PE check your
plans. Or go with the Rohn book, and sign yourself and XYL up
for a 'Tower Encounter' weekend...

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com