Guy tension ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Guy tension ??
From: cbrudtk@uswest.com (Chuck Brudtkuhl)
Date: 8 Aug 1996 08:22:18 -0600
The discussions on the tensionometer remind me of the old saying, something to
the effect of "measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with
an axe".  That is, does it really really matter if the tension that is
supposed to be 600lbs is 575lbs or even 550lbs as long as the readings are
consistant?

My concern in tensioning guys is never the EXACT calibrated tension, but
rather that all guys are tensioned the same at whatever in-exact amount that
may be.  I have three tensionometers that will never read EXACTLY the same on
the same guy using the factory calibration.  I therefore choose one to be MY
standard, calibrate the others to it, and then know all measurements are the
same. I go through this process everytime I use them.  What I DON'T know is if
all measurements are TRUELY 600lb (or whatever tension I'm going for that
day).

I don't recall the brand of mine, but they are fairly old (and I recall used
to cost $700 each to calibrate) and come in nice wooden carrying cases.

So, am I all wet?

And finally a question for the experts.  The 10% rule has been around forever
it seems.  Why?  Why 10% as compared (e.g.) 5% or 15%?

And finally, finally .... ever watched the pros check guy tension with a pc
and a stop watch by giving the guy a "twang" and counting the oscillations per
unit time (or something to that effect...been 10yrs since I watched it done on
commercial towers)....then knowing temperature, humidity et al, let the pc
calculate the tension?  Maybe someone ought to get that software and method
distributed.......

73, Chuck
WA0ROI